Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Firm Foundation That Grandpa Laid






"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him." - David Brinkley


Dear Readers: Tonight I was ready to give up! What was I thinking? Give-up, really? Excuse me self, but that is the wrong answer! I have always wanted to write. I don't know if I'm good at writing or not but I like to write! I also LOVE my career choice! I really have met amazing people that I would have never met any other way! So if you are reading this, more than likely you are one of those amazing people that I met along the way! So given that I love to write and given that I passionately believe in special education and literacy, I think blogging was made for me! I no longer want my special kids to be "those kids" because to me they are the most important kids in the world along with my own kids, and my nieces and nephews and cousins, oh and my friends kids, and lets not forget your kids!! So, lets face it all kids are important, so lets not shut the door on any kids. I'm following my own advice and David Brinkley's advice, I'm going to take those bricks and find a way to build a strong foundation for education! Education is special and I'm going to make it work! I will not give up because giving up is the wrong lesson to teach! 

P.S. Incidentally, my Grandfather was: H. Emerson Beckwith whose name is on the plague above. He too believed in education. He was on the board of education when my elementary school was built in 1968. So in honor of my Grandfather H. Emerson Beckwith, I will continue to lay a firm foundation for education! Thank you Grandpa!


Daily Parent Links:

Helping Kids Cope with Cliques

 http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/cliques.html?tracking=P_RelatedArticle#cat20059


  

Teaching Your Child How to tie Shoes in Five Minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWl2dPfBQPk

I've included the link just in case the video chooses not to work! This really is a great way to teach a child how to tie shoes. I've received multiple thank you's from friends who used this video that I posted earlier to teach kids in their life to tie shoes! 

Daily Educator Link:

Twenty-nine Pieces of New advice for New Teachers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/calee-prindle/29-pieces-of-advice-for-n_b_5719599.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000023

Children's Book Review: Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
     Aside from the fact that I just like saying "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse" because it practically bounces off my lips, I justlove this book! I love Lilly,I love her purple plastic purse, I love Mr. Slinger (who you'll meet when you read the book) and I love the lesson Lilly learns! Just about all I can say is "wow"!! Read this book and you will know why! Happy reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment